Tuesday, November 25, 2008

End of Times... So What?

Since this is the end of the Church's year, we hear a lot of references about the end of times. Readings from Revelations, Mark 13, Luke 21...

Year after year, I am never really sure what to think about this. My lack of a clear emotional response seems more important this year. Believe it or not, there is a substantial faction of US citizens who are convinced that President Elect Obama is the anti-Christ and that a literal interpretation of Revelations is at hand.

My initial reaction upon hearing this was, 'wow, that's stupid'. But, to be fair, I have no way of proving that these people are wrong. Personally, I have always considered Revelations a veiled form of dissent against Roman oppression, but Jesus is quoted as making references to the end in the synoptic Gospels as well. When I try to play 'what if?', my first thoughts are a bit condescending, such as 'if the rapture comes and I am among the saved, who is going to feed my fish?' This, of course, leads to business ideas, like Rapture Insurance for Evangelical's household pets.

But the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that it does not matter to me. As far as I can tell, Jesus' instructions on salvation remain the same. Rather it is in the context of the Good Samaritan in Luke, or the final judgement in Matthew, my job is identical. As long as I have room for for spiritual improvement I don't need to worry about anything else. So, between Jesus setting the bar high and my endless faults, I am pretty well set!.

No comments: