Sunday, November 16, 2008

Perhaps some fear is a good thing...

It actually took me a long time to realize that the first and last readings each Sunday are related. I suppose that I should have been taught that at some point (or perhaps I was, but just wasn't paying attention). But since it dawned on me, I have found that it often helps me have better insight into both readings. I have also found that, as our liturgical calendar repeats, I often find new connections to ponder.

Yesterday's readings are no exception. In the past the concept that has stood out for me is that we have an obligation to put all the gifts that God has given us to proper use. In the homily, the celebrant made an extremely interesting point by taking the Gospel reading even more literally. Instead of thinking of it as 'gifts', the priest proposed that we can view it as being entrusted with God's possessions. And, in that light, he then pointed out that among the most valuable possessions we have been entrusted with are our fellow human beings.

In re-reading the verses last night I happened to notice another theme, fear of God. This is actually a recurring theme in the Old Testament. It comes up so often that it can be easy to tune it out. But look at the end of the Gospel reading. The third servant loses what he has and ends up in the bitter wilderness. Jesus does not stress fear in the parable, but the concept of dire consequences remains. Also, His listeners would have already been very familiar with the many references to fearing the Lord in the Old Testament.

What made me think of this was something the priest said. As he talked about us all as God's possessions, and our obligation to be in the service of each other, he noted that we should be motivated in this by love, not fear. Fear, he said, would be the "worst possible motivation". This got me thinking about the seeming contradiction between a loving God and one which we are, at least scripturally, frequently told it is well to fear.

It seems to me that the answer is right in the first few lines of the recommended Responsorial Psalm in the link above. Fear of the lord is a blessing because it is connected to walking in "his ways". If we fear God, then would it not stand to reason that we believe in Him? Further, once you fear (and believe) in God, what else would you have to fear? All the destructive fears that consume so many, people who look different from us, socioeconomic competition from classes beneath us, powerful and competent women, etc., seem insignificant compared to eternal suffering!

With all due respect to my priest, in that light I think that a little fear may be a good thing...

No comments: